John and Jamie
June 21, 2008
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Garden Update
I got my seeds yesterday and planted 2 of everything. I hope they sprout soon and then I will start taking pictures of there progress. Planting those few seeds made me itch for more though. I think I am going to start my compost bin this afternoon when it thaws out some. I read this article that said they built a compost bin out of pallets and then when it was full, they dug out a 5 gallon sized whole and filled it with potting soil and then planted a squash plant right in the potting soil. I think I will give it a try. Maybe with a cucumber and a squash plant? Plus it said that with a live plant in the pile it helps it to break down better by giving it more oxygen in the soil as well as consistent water. Even if it doesn't work it should help me have some good compost when my real garden beds get built.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Where did you read the article at? I am curious as to how to use the pallets for the compost bin.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of having a compost bin and we now have enough room to have one.
I want to make a rain flower/herb garden. I have been doing a lot of research on them and am hoping to get one started this year.
I don't remember where I read it, but you just find your spot, then screw 4 pallets together like walls and fill it up. The extra air helps it to decompose better, but make sure you water frequently so it doesn't dry out. I will look through my magazines and try to find it, if I do I will send it to ya!
ReplyDeleteOh, no worries, I can google it :O) It sounds like a great idea, and easy too.
ReplyDelete